A Revolutionary Approach to Gum Disease
Gum disease, also known as periodontal disease, affects millions of people worldwide, causing gum inflammation, tooth loss, and overall oral health problems. Traditional treatment methods often involve invasive procedures and lengthy recovery times. However, our New York Periodontists offer LANAP (Laser Assisted New Attachment Procedure) as an emerging and cutting-edge alternative.
What Is Lanap Laser Treatment?
LANAP laser treatment is a minimally invasive and FDA-approved procedure designed to treat gum disease. It utilizes the power of a dental laser to remove infected gum tissue, eliminate bacteria, and promote the regeneration of healthy gum tissue. The laser specifically targets diseased tissue while leaving healthy tissue intact, resulting in faster healing and reduced discomfort compared to traditional gum surgery.
Benefits of LANAP Laser Treatment
- Minimally Invasive: LANAP treatment is less invasive than traditional gum surgery. It requires no cutting or sutures, resulting in reduced post-operative pain and swelling.
- Faster Healing: The laser stimulates the body’s natural healing response, promoting the regeneration of healthy gum tissue and faster recovery times.
- Preservation of Healthy Tissue: The laser selectively removes diseased tissue while preserving healthy tissue, minimizing the loss of gum tissue and reducing the risk of gum recession.
- Reduced Discomfort: LANAP laser treatment is often associated with less pain and discomfort during and after the procedure compared to traditional surgery.
- Long-Term Results: LANAP has been shown to provide long-lasting results, effectively controlling gum disease and improving overall oral health.
Laser Treatment Procedure
- Assessment: Drs. Gottesman, Jacobs, or Bogart will perform a comprehensive examination of your gums, including measuring the depth of periodontal pockets and evaluating the extent of gum disease.
- Treatment Planning: A personalized treatment plan will be created based on your specific needs and the severity of your gum disease.
- Anesthesia: Local anesthesia will be administered to ensure your comfort throughout the procedure.
- Laser Treatment: The dental laser is used to remove diseased gum tissue and eliminate bacteria from the periodontal pockets. The laser also stimulates the bone to encourage regeneration and reattachment of the gum tissue.
- Scaling and Root Planing: Our dentists will carefully clean the tooth roots to remove plaque and calculus buildup.
- Occlusal Adjustment: If necessary, your bite will be adjusted to ensure proper alignment and reduce excessive forces on the teeth and gums.
- Follow-Up Care: Regular follow-up visits will be scheduled to monitor your healing progress and maintain your oral health.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does the LANAP procedure take?
The duration of the LANAP procedure can vary depending on the extent of your gum disease and the number of areas being treated. On average, the LANAP procedure typically takes a few hours to complete. However, it is important to note that the time required may vary from patient to patient.
What is the recovery time after LANAP laser treatment?
LANAP laser treatment is known for its faster recovery times compared to traditional gum surgery. Most patients can resume normal activities within a day or two after the procedure. However, it is important to follow your Dr. Gottesman, Dr. Jacobs, or Dr. Bogarts post-operative instructions carefully. This may include avoiding certain foods, practicing good oral hygiene, taking prescribed medications, and attending follow-up visits.
Is LANAP laser treatment covered by insurance?
Coverage for LANAP laser treatment can vary depending on your dental insurance plan. While some insurance plans may provide coverage for LANAP, others may consider it an elective or cosmetic procedure. It is recommended to check with your insurance provider to determine your specific coverage and any out-of-pocket costs you may be responsible for.
Are there any risks or side effects associated with LANAP?
LANAP laser treatment is considered safe, but like any medical procedure, there are potential risks and side effects to be aware of. Common side effects may include temporary tooth sensitivity, mild swelling of the gums, or slight discomfort. These symptoms are typically mild and subside within a short period.
Embrace a Brighter Smile with LANAP Laser Treatment
LANAP laser treatment represents a groundbreaking advancement in gum disease treatment, offering patients a minimally invasive, faster-healing alternative to traditional gum surgery. With its numerous benefits, including reduced discomfort and preservation of healthy tissue, LANAP has transformed the way gum disease is managed. If you suspect you have gum disease, consult with your New York dentists by calling our dental practice at (212) 756-8890 to determine if LANAP laser treatment is the right choice for you. Reclaim your oral health and enjoy a brighter smile with this innovative procedure.